Sattrak 3 controller

Discussion about orbiting satellite, and balloon launches
VK2NB
Forum Novice

Sattrak 3 controller

Post by VK2NB » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi To the forum

There was a project that Graham VK5AGR ( Australian Amsat Coordinator ) was involved with in the 80s and 90s called Sattrak 3 and it was a stand alone controller for az/el rotators and doppler control.

I have rescued one that still powers up and inquiring if any one has any configuration information. circuits diagrams etc.

I realize that this going back 30 years but thought I would ask any way as I want to use the unit with a old ft736 that I have.

Thanks in advance
Nigel

VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Sattrak 3 controller

Post by VK4GHZ » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:26 pm

Have you got a copy of this Nigel?

This extract is from 73 May 1989.

Sat Trak III.pdf
(5.37 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
Adam, Brisbane
https://vk4ghz.com | VK4GHZ on Youtube
10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

Minimising my exposure to fools & attention seekers - self isolating from Facebook!

VK2NB
Forum Novice

Post by VK2NB » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:51 am

Hi There

Thanks for that, I have not seen that review before.
I originally built a sattrak 3 controller about 30 years ago in conjunction with a group that was organised by Graham VK5AGR and Graham did a lot of further development for the project.
Due to moving and young children I was very quiet in the hobby for many years but getting back into it and I was always impressed by that project and I used my sattrak 3 extensively especially for the original microsatts.

73s

Nigel VK2NB

VK7ZBX
Forum Novice

Post by VK7ZBX » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:57 pm

I also have a Sattrak 3 unit, that was also built with the help of Graham vk5agr, along witgh lots of other kit and i allso drifted away with familly taking precendence.

I have not heard anything of Graham vk5agr, is he still about i wonder ?

I managed to obtain another battery backed Ram chip. It used to work very very well indeed.

I believe there was also a utility written by Graham that took the kep elements and converted them to a text file that coulld be uploaded to the sat trak in text mode.

I should dig it out and have a play.

I have since built a unit based on the k3ng and it works well with my kr400/kr500

Happy to send any info if required.

Cheers

Richard

VK2NB
Forum Novice

Post by VK2NB » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:18 am

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply

Any information would be good, I emailed Graham VK5AGR via the email address on the WIA website but no reply.
I am not sure of Graham status ( I mean that very respectively we are all getting on )
The K3NG sounds interesting, if you could forward any information you have that would be appreciated.
I have been busy with family maters hense the late reply.

Regards
Nigel VK2NB