New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
Forum rules
By registering any account on vklogger.com, you are accepting the Terms Of Use ("TOU").
The TOU may be viewed at: http://www.vklogger.com/tou.php
Post Reply
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Penrith, NSW
Contact:

New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

Post by VK2XAX » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:33 am

Hi all,

This is now available...

https://www.analog.com/en/products/adf4 ... t-overview

regards

Tim
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK

User avatar
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

Post by ZL3RC » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Its dam expensive though Tim.
Looks like somewhere around $390+NZ :crazy:

Roger
Roger
ZL3RC aka ZL3THQ RE66FL
http://www.qrz.com/db/ZL3THQ.

VK2XAX
Forum Diehard
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Penrith, NSW
Contact:

Re: New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

Post by VK2XAX » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:10 pm

ZL3RC wrote:Its dam expensive though Tim.
Looks like somewhere around $390+NZ :crazy:

Roger
LOL yes... but I've noticed that just about anything that goes above 10Ghz gets an exponential increase in $ !

Maybe we'll see a price drop over time like many other devices of that ilk.
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK

VK4AQF
Forum Novice
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

Post by VK4AQF » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:34 pm

Theres alot of new MW chips from the like of Skyworks, Analog, who bought Hittite. I used the MAX2870 35-6GHz in my HB sig generator. Works well. Theres now units to 14GHz. I will be looking at using one to 'stich up' a 10GHz transverter of some sort. Thinking of replacing the DRO in a 10G satellite down convertor unit that works over the Ham band. (If it still works :eh: )
390 NZ sounds a weee bit much ATM :wtf:

ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

Post by ZL2BKC » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:35 pm

ZL3RC wrote:Its dam expensive though Tim.
Looks like somewhere around $390+NZ :crazy:

Roger
Don't forget the output level is quite low so you need a wideband power amp as well, plus don't forget FR4 PCB will present significant challenges at that frequency. The BOM starts to look expensive :o

This chip may be appropriate for wideband testgear, but for the ham bands you are best to stay around the 10-12 GHz mark and multiply up from there using appropriate devices, or surplus triplers such as the venerable CMA38400. Most of the modern chipsets that will get you on 24GHz and 47GHz multiply up from 10 to 12GHz.

I have to admit there are lots of options on the market now with little difference in specs - Analog seems to be releasing a new one every few weeks. Maybe hold out until 5G starts to play in the 28GHz space to see what that creates.

73
Wayne ZL2BKC

VK2XAX
Forum Diehard
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Penrith, NSW
Contact:

Re: New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

Post by VK2XAX » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:20 am

ZL2BKC wrote: Don't forget the output level is quite low so you need a wideband power amp as well, plus don't forget FR4 PCB will present significant challenges at that frequency. The BOM starts to look expensive :o

This chip may be appropriate for wideband testgear, but for the ham bands you are best to stay around the 10-12 GHz mark and multiply up from there using appropriate devices, or surplus triplers such as the venerable CMA38400. Most of the modern chipsets that will get you on 24GHz and 47GHz multiply up from 10 to 12GHz.

I have to admit there are lots of options on the market now with little difference in specs - Analog seems to be releasing a new one every few weeks. Maybe hold out until 5G starts to play in the 28GHz space to see what that creates.

73
Wayne ZL2BKC
All good points ! I dont know the CMA38400 - can you point me at some info ?

A quick search on Ebay turned up nothing but colourful phone cases :wtf: and googling turned up some references in issue 207 of the French Microwave Mag Hyper but no hard data or where one might acquire such a device.

thanks

Tim
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK

ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

Post by ZL2BKC » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:06 pm

VK2XAX wrote:
All good points ! I dont know the CMA38400 - can you point me at some info ?

A quick search on Ebay turned up nothing but colourful phone cases :wtf: and googling turned up some references in issue 207 of the French Microwave Mag Hyper but no hard data or where one might acquire such a device.

thanks

Tim
Apologies I got the model number slightly wrong. Search for CMA382400AUP which is the full model and there are a few on eBay for US$56 at the moment.
They are very popular on 76GHz and 122GHz transverters since they produce a healthy 100mW+ on 38 to 41GHz which becomes the LO driving a harmonic mixer on these bands.
Add a ZLPLL 14G or similar and you are 80% of the way there!

DL2AM has some articles on his website about them (in German), but if you have DUBUS you get to read the english translated version.

73,
Wayne

VK2XAX
Forum Diehard
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Penrith, NSW
Contact:

Re: New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

Post by VK2XAX » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:25 pm

ZL2BKC wrote:
Apologies I got the model number slightly wrong. Search for CMA382400AUP which is the full model and there are a few on eBay for US$56 at the moment.
They are very popular on 76GHz and 122GHz transverters since they produce a healthy 100mW+ on 38 to 41GHz which becomes the LO driving a harmonic mixer on these bands.
Add a ZLPLL 14G or similar and you are 80% of the way there!

DL2AM has some articles on his website about them (in German), but if you have DUBUS you get to read the english translated version.

73,
Wayne


thanks for that :) noted and bookmarked :)

cheers

Tim
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK

User avatar
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: PF95ih
Contact:

Re: New from Analog the ADF4371 62Mhz - 32Ghz Synthesizer

Post by VK5ZD » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:52 am

ZL2BKC wrote:Apologies I got the model number slightly wrong. Search for CMA382400AUP which is the full model and there are a few on eBay for US$56 at the moment.
If you buy one of these from 'total_parts' ebay seller then ignore his comment about it requiring 12v at 4A. That is guaranteed to kill it. :shock:
They need +6v, +8v and -5v supplies. Make the +6v & +8v adjustable (they can be tweaked to get the maximum output).
When used for a 76G or 122G transverter, the +6v supply will need to be reduced when in receive mode. When receiving, the diode mixer noise figure is better with less LO drive.
73
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih

Post Reply