Postby ZL3MF » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 am

Could be interesting......
More info here:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/8079758/ ... is-weekend
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Re: Meteor Showers this Weekend

Postby VK2GOM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:20 am

I'd say the peak has already happened this morning. Sunday morning is pushing it a bit...! Journalistic optimism. Still, there are usually a good few stragglers either side of the peak.

I had a look from rural NSW on Thursday morning, and saw about 8 in 20mins. They weren't very bright though. I set the alarm this morning to look from Penrith, but was then sadly reminded how light polluted we are (compared to the rural spot yesterday) and even Castor and Pollux (two principal stars in Gemini) were far more obscured under our skies, so I abandoned the idea and went back to bed.

I have also used meteor logging software for the PC in the past, with the radio tuned to a distant carrier or TV Tx. It basically counts the pings on the audio in line, and from that, it is easy to find when the peak was.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2GOM
Forum Diehard

Postby VK2JH » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:51 am

Hi Rob,

Re the showers, do I need to take an umbrella with me when I go out?? :?

I read your post on Mt Canobolas, it is a great location, but also a large RF site, with TV, FM radio, Aviation radio and commercial 2 way bases as well. It does not surprise me that your car did not like it. The Orange repeater was there for many years, not sure if it is still there. Then, they had the tx in one hut and the rx aerial up the side of the commercial tv tower, but, I think noise overcame it and/or they had to vacate the rx aerial site. The large "rock" to the NNE might be around Kandos/Rylstone. It could be Cumber Melon Mtn (also known as Mt. Baldy). I used to travel there from time to time, servicing my organisation's gear. I could easily access the Dural 2m from there (in the days when amateurs actually replied to you on repeaters..... some time ago!) It is on private land.

To confuse things, there is actually a Bald Mtn, not as high to the north of Rylstone on land owned by an amateur. It has the Rylstone 2m repeater and some bush fire gear on it.

Enjoy that part of the world,

John
VK4JHC/VK2JH
QG62EQ
Mount Hallen 4312
VK2JH
Frequent Poster

Postby VK2KRR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 pm

I dunno Rob, I didn't pick up anything above normal, meteor wise this morning.
I noticed earlier in the week was better, cant remember which day off hand.
Will keep a look out over the weekend.
Leigh VK2KRR
The Rock Hill, NSW

Station monitoring Tropospheric & Ionospheric propagation 24 hours a day
VK2KRR
Forum Diehard

Re: METEOR SHOWERS THIS WEEKEND

Postby ZL3MF » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 pm

It has been on the New Zealand media all afternoon they are saying the peak is tonight from 10pm peaking 2am tomorrow morning.....
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Re: METEOR SHOWERS THIS WEEKEND

Postby ZL3TY » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:56 pm

Worked VK3AMZ this morning on 2m at 2327km. We have worked before and it usually needs above average conditions, eg meteor shower or some tropo help.
Conditions seemed marginally above average this morning. Hopefully the weekend will be good.
Bob
Greymouth RE57om
ZL3TY
Forum Novice

Postby VK5IR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what does this mean? Any good news for HF propagation? :P
Theo
VK5IR
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Postby VK2GOM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi Theo, nothing to do with HF! A meteor shower is an annual predictable event where more meteors than normal appear to come from a particular point in the sky. This happens because Earth's orbit passes through a stream of debris and particles from the tails of known comets at that point.

There are a number of showers throughout the year, in different parts of the sky. There are more Northern hemisphere viewable showers than Southern ones.

The intensity of the shower is termed by its ZHR - Zenithal Hourly Rate, which means if the radiant (the point they appear to come from, if you trace all the meteor trails backwards) was in the highest point in the sky straight above you, this is how many you should see (on average) per hour.

The ZHR's are just a guide though. In some years, we experience what are normally termed outbursts, and the ZHR can change from, say, 60 an hour to 2000+ per hour. These are also called 'meteor storms' - mainly by the press :D

And depending on how Earth's orbit crosses the comet's tail of debris, and how dense the tail is, determines the brightness and speed of the meteors in the sky.

Meteors are always best viewed past local midnight, in the same way that when you drive into an oncoming snow blizzard you see more snow than if you were driving along in the same direction as the snow is blowing. In the same way the part of Earth's sky is turning into the incoming meteors, and not sweeping them up whilst travelling in the same direction.

The best annual shower is without doubt the Perseids (radiant in the constellation of Perseus) but this is badly placed for Southern hemisphere observers! In the UK they get a treat though every August. A lot of Perseids are fireballs, which is a large (grain of rice to lentil sized) meteor that can leave glowing ionisation trails for a good few seconds, sometimes minutes (which VHF and up ops enjoy to reflect signals from in Meteor Scatter (MS) modes).

Hope this sheds some light on the subject :)

Astronomy has always been my No.1 passion (with ham radio a close second!). I don't do as much astronomy here as I did in the UK where I was regularly on radio, TV, and in the press on the subject. And yes, my Facebook profile picture is my telescope :D

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2GOM
Forum Diehard

Postby ZL3MF » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:29 am

Listened off and on during the night, some very good burns around 1230-1am with ZL2WHO/B and 55.250 TV having 30sec + singnals.At one stage both 55.2496 and WHO/B wasa 5/x9 with major flutter. There have been some good burns this morning as well…
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Postby ZL3MF » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Some big MS bursts at the moment....... :shock:
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Return to Meteor Scatter (MS)