Central North Island 6m Beacon

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
Forum rules
By registering any account on vklogger.com, you are accepting the Terms Of Use ("TOU").
The TOU may be viewed at: http://www.vklogger.com/tou.php

Re: Central North Island 6m Beacon PICS !

Postby ADMIN » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:30 pm

ZL2WHO wrote:After reading the "how toos" on posting pics, i gave up and went to flickr.

I honestly don't understand why this is so hard!
5 mouse clicks is all it takes to include an attachment in a forum post, and there is a step-by-step procedure.

Anyway, Flicker make this real easy to share. A selection of Mark's images...

Exciter front. by ZL2WHO, on Flickr

Exciter & PA. by ZL2WHO, on Flickr

PA RF Deck by ZL2WHO, on Flickr

Ants and Tower. by ZL2WHO, on Flickr

Looking North. by ZL2WHO, on Flickr

Looks like a fantastic spot, and great install. :D
VK Logger Administrator
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck with a target on his back

Re: Central North Island 6m Beacon

Postby ZL1RS » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Well done Mark ... I'm sure I am not alone in my wanton anticipation for the 2m beacon!

The second photo (Exciter & PA) is a cracker ... with the "RF Output Power" needle hard over past the RED zone :D

It's doing a bang up job at my place 487km away coming in continuously (at a very low level) when beaming anywhere to the northerly quarter ... I suspect via some form of ionospheric back scatter or ?????

I can't hear it beamed south (direct) because my RX fills up with crud from the nearest low band TV TX. The champagne corks will pop when that hideous monster is QRT late next year !! ... unfortunately it is the LAST one to be turned off in ZL :roll:

73, Bob ZL1RS
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
http://www.qsl.net/zl1rs
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Postby ZL3RC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:53 am

Hi Mark that HS on top of the amp is that from an old NEC paging amp by any chance?

Looks good and is doing a fine job down this way. Its audible a lot of the time and some of the pings I get from it now go up over S9 :shock:
Its very interesting to listen to in the morning while eating breakfast :D

Well done and really looking forward to the two meter version as the Wellington beacon is our only in band indicator down this way, apart from triggering repeaters :lol:

Roger ZL3THQ
Roger
ZL3RC aka ZL3THQ RE66FL
http://www.qrz.com/db/ZL3THQ.
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster

Postby VK5PJ » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:17 am

Hi Mark
the photos of the beacon are great
ZL2WHO wrote:Quote... "I realise that a 1kw beacon is unrealistic" Not at all, there is nothing stopping me having 500 watts base power and 3dB gain ants.
How about if the power level was stepped, lets say a cycle of ID at say 100 watts and then the next at 1kW ??
How about logger have a button on the beacon page that links through the internet and operators can switch from 100w to 1Kw for a set period of time .. 5-10m for example.
The new smart beacon is born.... :idea: :roll:
Dont be shy... 73.

Now, if you need some RAW power amps, in VK at the moment there is a bonanza of different ones, we have 250W amps from TV 5A by NEC (I think) and 1KW modules from TV CH0 and TV CH1 (Larcan). I have some of the modules from TV CH1 and I am sure I can find some more if you want extra RF on 50MHz or as a standby, as well as more from CH5A for your proposed 144 beacon. So when you go looking for parts, keep us in mind (very cheap or possibly free +postage LOL)

Peter, vk5pj
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Central North Island 6m Beacon spot CT1FFU

Postby ZL2WHO » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:18 am

Hi all.
Thought this worth a mention to all you 6m nut jobs.
I have not contacted to confirm but an email over night from beaconsopt.EU went like this..

This is to advise you that ZL2WHO on 50MHz has been spotted on 2013-04-01

at 13:05UTC by CT1FFU in IM59KJ QRB 19642km.

Comment:- wow 599 here.

and a second spot about the same time..

at 13:07UTC by SV1RK in KM17VU QRB 17536km.

Comment:- 599 inkm17 via sat!!!.

Interesting to say the least, could this be the second peak that Nasa spoke of ? I just hope its the start of something.

Mark.
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Postby VK2ZRH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:04 am

Interesting and encouraging. Thanks for the info.

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Postby ZL1RS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 am

... remember the date and 12-13 hour time delay to Europe

:roll:

From the Region 1 50/70 chat:

2013-04-01 13:06:24Z DF6HT Thomas df6ht.de + some jokes in the cluster
2013-04-01 13:08:20Z CT1FFU Tony DX lol

April 1st is always good fun :lol:
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
http://www.qsl.net/zl1rs
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Postby ZL2WHO » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 am

If its too good to be true then it probably isnt. !!
What a mean trick.. Ban them from the clusters I say !!

With the night before VK openings to JA I was hoping it may have been true.. Sadly not.

Ba$^@&%$...

Mark :cry:
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Postby VK2ZRH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ! :lol:

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Postby ZL2WHO » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:11 am

Hi All.
A quick update on the weekend trip to beacon central.
Change in lobe direction. copy paste ....

Mark, I am wondering if there is any chance you would be willing to rotate the dual dipoles to favor a main lobe toward the United States. The ZL to states path is coming up soon and with all of the 45 MHz TV carriers now out of service, we have nothing currently to use as a propagation indicator.
I realize the beacons are not near where you live but any consideration on this would be greatly appreciated by many many six meter operators here in the states.
Please let me know Mark and thanks again for your nice contribution to the six meter band.
Todd W6TOD DM15cq

The 6m dipoles were turned a full 90 deg, note that to date the they have been N/S and now E/W. As the weather was perfect I was able to use mount Egmont as a land mark so this made for an easy reference. The West lobe is square on to Mt Egmont which will provide the best singal to VK2 and all of VK. The East lobe is now centered about the Panama Canal area and beyond this to Portulgal. On the down side ZL North and South will experence reduced signal levels. While some may consider this a disadvantage I see it as a good thing because now MS and Backscatter will be easier to hear etc.

With fingers crossed I inserted a new fuse into the 400w PA PSU, Turning on the mains resulted in two flashes ! one from the fuse and another from the somewhere on the PSU itself. I threw a 50v PSU at the 2 mosfets and noted correct drain current so was relieved to find that the Fets were ok, How rare is that !!
Until i return in a month or so the 6m beacon is at 25 Watts, leaving it at this power level was not easy, I did have a spare QRO PA but decided not to use it.

The 2m beacon is off air for a tidy up. While it is proving to be reliable its a peice of $#!T, the exciter needs to be striped and placed into a decent enclousure as its a dog to work on in the present Tait T198 chassis. Id like to see the exciter and 200W PA all be in one easy chassis. The aim is to have it back up before November.

The 432.271 beacon was untouched and is working well.

Two new additions to site are the DTMF controler and a GURL transmitter on 40.6880. Extensive requests to our mates at the ministry did not result in a beacon licence in the 45Mhz region so the only option is to use a GURL freq as thus the power level is.... wait for it... 1 Watt eirp. Yes you read correctly.. thats the No. between Zero and Two. lol.
The data is centered on 40.6880 +- 20 Hz with one sec pulses low depending on the ambient temp via an air sensor. At about 0 deg C the carrier pulses low by about 20Hz and at 30 Deg C the pulses are about 100 Hz below the carrier. This makes for easy detection using spec lab etc. It sounds like a UK police siren. I would appeacate any spots on the logger. An entry has been made to the database in the early warning section.

The DTMF controler has the ability to select 4 power levels on all the beacons and switch them off. It is working well but suffers from the 2m linking radio being desensed with the higher power levels. A cavity filter will be installed in due course.

Work is well underway for the installation of a 1296.271/b and again Wayne ZL2BKC and I hope to have it active for the summer with a yagi @ VK.

My wish list for the site is.... 1) 22A 50v SwMode PSU, 2) a double pole coaxial relay for the 6m beacon power amp. Happy to purchase but not for stupid money.

Ill post updates here on the progress.

Mark
ZL2WHO
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Previous

Return to 50 MHz